JOE Listings (Job Openings for Economists)
February 1, 2017 - July 31, 2017
Regional Economic Models, Inc
Position Title/Short Description
Section: Full-Time Nonacademic
Location: Amherst, Massachusetts, UNITED STATES
JEL Classification: H -- Public Economics
Full Text of JOE Listing:
REMI (Regional Economic Models, Inc.) is seeking a talented economics MA or PhD to join its consulting and expert client support team. REMI provides the nation’s leading regional economic forecasting and policy analysis models (PI+, TranSight, Tax-PI). In this position, you will work side by side with REMI’s Chief Economist and CEO, Vice President, and other senior member of the consulting/client team, learning the role of consultation and business development. We are looking for candidates who can demonstrate intellectually rigorous economic research, strong communications skills, and a passion for informing public policy decisions through research-based analysis.
Trump has shaken up policy at the Federal, State, and regional level. We are working on state and national analysis of issues such as: Obamacare repeal/replace, tax Reform/border adjustment tax, Carrier Indiana dynamic fiscal/economic analysis, energy efficiency tax credits, transportation investments, etc. Our clients include consulting firms such as NERA and Charles River Associates; Universities such as GWU and University of Michigan; Government Agencies such as California Department of Finance and Georgia Department of Transportation; National Associations such as NFIB and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce; and think tanks such as the Upjohn Institute for Employment Research and the Milken Institute.
We are driven to inform policy debates through rigorous analysis, using our proprietary modeling software. Our clients and our staff are often cited in legislative debates and media coverage on critical topics, for example, REMI’s work on immigration reform was cited by over 120 newspapers, and quoted by John McCain, the Obama White House, Grover Nordquist; recently, two REMI healthcare studies have been reported by the Atlantic ( .
• Collaborating with senior staff and clients in analyzing policy proposals through the use of REMI’s state-of-the-art econometric model;
• Set and lead meetings with decision-makers;
• Extensive business travel;
• Developing reports that drive the conversation about policy questions and alternative proposals.
• Answering clients’ questions about modeling approaches and the structure of their research.
• Developing expert knowledge in complex economic model;
• Research academic debate and literature on economic policy issues.
• A commitment to providing objective and comprehensive analysis that improves the quality of public policy.
• A passion for economics and public policy, and appreciation for the value of data and nonpartisan analysis.
• Demonstrated ability to perform independent, publication-quality research.
• High academic achievement, excellent communications skills, Masters or Ph.D. degree in economics.
The successful candidate will be expected to master our proprietary economic modeling software, and have strong communications and business development skills.
Founded in 1980, REMI (Regional Economic Models, Inc.) is the nation’s leading provider of regional modeling software and analysis. Our models are used in the U.S. and internationally for estimating the total economic and demographic effects of policy changes. The model is based on peer-reviewed literature in the Journal of Regional Science, American Economic Review, and other publication. Our clients include federal, state and local agencies, trade associations, major nonprofit organizations, universities, and consulting firms.
Working for REMI
Employees of REMI receive a competitive salary in addition to the following benefits: paid time off, medical insurance, dental insurance, life insurance and a 401K retirement plan.
Applicants should send a cover letter, resume and transcripts via email to:
- Application Instructions Below