JOE Listings (Job Openings for Economists)
February 1, 2017 - July 31, 2017
Montana State University
Position Title/Short Description
Section: US: Full-Time Academic (Permanent, Tenure Track or Tenured)
Location: Bozeman, Montana, UNITED STATES
JEL Classification: 00 -- Default: Any Field
Full Text of JOE Listing:
The Department of Agricultural Economics and Economics has 21 highly productive faculty members who focus on quality publications in leading refereed journals. The DAEE offers undergrad degrees in Agricultural Business, Economics, and Financial Engineering, and a Master's degree in Applied Economics.
Duties and Responsibilities
The department head is responsible for: 1) facilitating and coordinating the Department’s teaching, research, extension and outreach programs; 2) fostering a departmental culture that is participatory and supports successful scholarship; 3) managing the personnel, budget, and physical facilities of the department; and 4) representing the faculty in various internal and external capacities. In addition to the administrative duties, the department head is expected—at levels commensurate with the administrative appointment—to maintain a research program in agricultural economics and/or economics that results in publications in leading disciplinary refereed journals, to provide high quality teaching, and to provide quality outreach in accordance with professional expertise.
Required Qualifications – Experience, Education, Knowledge & Skills
1. Ph.D. in Economics, Agricultural Economics, or a closely related discipline.
2. Established research program in Agricultural Economics or Economics that has resulted in publications in disciplinary refereed journals and positive professional recognition commensurate with an appointment at the Full Professor level in the DAEE at Montana State University.
3. Teaching and/or outreach qualifications commensurate with an appointment at the Full Professor level in the DAEE at Montana State University.
4. Experience supervising personnel and managing budgets.
Preferred Qualifications – Experience, Education, Knowledge & Skills
1. Demonstrated ability in leadership, program management, and/or administration.
2. Experience communicating with external stakeholders, such as agricultural producer groups and firms; community, regional, and state organizations; businesses and non-profits; government officials; and the general public.
3. Experience advising graduate students.
The Successful Candidate Will
• Have a well-defined vision for leading a joint department in a land grant university
• Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills, strong interpersonal skills, and excellent organizational skills
• Demonstrate leadership qualities
• Be able to represent the department to University faculty and administrators, government officials, off-campus organizations, and the general public
• Demonstrate willingness to work with and engage diverse students, staff, and colleagues within and outside the department and will have a commitment to the principles of inclusiveness and diversity.
MSU is an ADA/EEO/Vet Pref Employer.
Screening of applications will commence August 31, 2017 and continue until the position is filled. For more information, please contact Mark Jutila (
- Application Instructions Below
1) current CV 2) a cover letter detailing your qualifications and experience as they relate to each individual required and preferred qualification 3) your administrative philosophy and vision for leading a joint department (under two colleges) and 4) a summary of current research and three examples of research papers. Please note, the names and contact information for four professional references are required as part of your profile.