JOE Listings (Job Openings for Economists)
August 1, 2018 - January 31, 2019
Arizona State University
Position Title/Short Description
Section: US: Full-Time Academic (Permanent, Tenure Track or Tenured)
Location: Phoenix, Arizona, UNITED STATES
JEL Classification: H -- Public Economics
Full Text of JOE Listing:
The Arizona State University School of Public Affairs (SPA) invites applications for a Public and Non-profit Finance and Budgeting tenure track faculty position at the Assistant Level. Hiring will focus on active, entrepreneurial emerging scholars desiring to work collaboratively across disciplinary lines as they establish themselves as a leader in Public and Non-profit Finance and Budgeting. This nine-month position begins August 16, 2019. The School strongly encourages applicants from historically underrepresented groups in the academy to apply.
The School has embarked upon a period of unprecedented growth as a strategically important element in Arizona State University’s emergence as a “New American The School’s program is ranked #9 in the nation (#10 in public finance and budgeting). It is home to a number of applied research centers that focus on areas such as urban innovation, citizen participation, organizational design, public policy, and science policy. SPA is a research partner with the Alliance for Innovation, housed at the School, and the International City/County Management Association. Faculty members have been successful in attracting external funding from national scientific agencies, federal departments, foundations, and the private sector.
SPA offers Bachelor degrees in Public Service and Public Policy and Urban and Metropolitan Studies, the Master of Public Administration, the Master of Public Policy, and the Ph.D. in Public Administration and Policy. SPA continues to attract a growing and diverse array of students motivated by the promise of public service and drawn to the unique opportunity of an interdisciplinary public affairs education. For more information about the School of Public Affairs and the College of Public Service and Community Solutions, please visit and .
• Teach undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral courses in person, online and hybrid
• Advise and mentor students
• Establish and maintain a record of scholarly productivity as demonstrated through peer-reviewed publications, external funding, and presentations at
• Provide service contribution to the school, college, university and profession
• A Ph.D. in Public Administration, Public Policy, Political Science, or related field at the time of appointment (must be conferred by position start
date, August 16, 2019).
• Strong primary research and teaching interests in Public and Non-profit Finance and Budgeting with possible sub-fields such as financial management,
economic/community development, urban planning, performance measurement, public management, nonprofit management, or intergovernmental relations a plus.
• A commitment to teaching in-person and online in a diverse environment.
• Demonstrated excellence or strong potential in research that will contribute to and enhance the School’s national and international reputation.
• Faculty members are expected to pursue external funding to support research; evidence of the ability to do this should be highlighted.
Apply at Candidates will be asked to submit the following through their Interfolio Dossier:
• Cover letter describing your research and teaching interests
• Curriculum vitae
• One writing sample
• Information for three professional references (name, title, organization, email address, phone number)
• Applicants that are invited for interviews will be required to submit (3) letters of recommendation
The application deadline is November 15, 2018 at 5:00p.m. Arizona time; and if not filled, then every other Friday until the search is closed.
Please direct any questions about the position to Dr. Stuart Bretschneider, the Search Committee Chair, at .
ASU is a comprehensive public research university, measured not by whom it excludes, but by whom it includes and how they succeed; advancing research and discovery of public value; and assuming fundamental responsibility for the economic, social, cultural and overall health of the communities it serves.
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by law. For a complete statement on ASU’s non-discrimination policies, please refer to: and
- External Application Link