JOE Listings (Job Openings for Economists)
February 1, 2022 - July 31, 2022
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
Position Title/Short Description
Section: Full-Time Nonacademic
Location: Rome, ITALY
JEL Classification: Q1 -- Agriculture
Status Update: No longer accepting applications
Full Text of JOE Listing:
Director, Forestry Division (2103403)
Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) contributes to the achievement of the 2030 Agenda through FAO’s Strategic Framework by supporting the transformation to MORE efficient, inclusive, resilient and sustainable agrifood systems, for better production, better nutrition, a better environment and a better life, leaving no one behind.
The Forestry Division (NFO) leads FAO's work in promoting sustainable forest management and providing leadership on the environmental, social and economic dimensions of forestry, including its contributions to poverty reduction and food security and nutrition. The Division liaises with FAO Members, civil society and the private sector in aspects ranging from development of effective forest policies to forest conservation and management issues, and strengthens the role of forests in climate change mitigation and adaptation. The Division also collects, analyses and disseminates information on the world's forest resources and on the production, trade and consumption of wood and non-wood forest products.
Summary of Duties and Functions
• Provide strategic vision and leadership to FAO’s work on forestry and the work of the Division in contributing towards the achievement of the relevant Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and FAO’s Strategic Framework, Medium Term Plan and Programme of Work and Budget;
• Advise the Core Leadership of FAO as well as the Heads of other FAO units on matters of strategy and policy relating to FAO’s mandate in forestry;
• Leverage and promote innovation, science and technology in the forestry sector, in cooperation with public, private, academia and civil society.
• Advanced university degree in forestry, natural resources management, or other related fields;
• At least fifteen years of professional experience in natural resources and development issues, including field experience on issues relevant to the post;
• Deep understanding of agroforestry, reforest and eco-restoration.
FAO encourages a positive workplace culture to increase inclusivity and diversity within its workforce. FAO applies measures in which all staff members contribute equally and in full to the work and development of the Organization.
Deadline for application: 23 February 2022.
For more information on how to apply, please click on the Apply button.
- External Application Link