JOE Listings (Job Openings for Economists)
August 1, 2022 - January 31, 2023
Bates White Economic Consulting
Position Title/Short Description
Section: Full-Time Nonacademic
Location: Washington, District of Columbia, UNITED STATES
J -- Labor and Demographic Economics
L -- Industrial Organization
I -- Health, Education, and Welfare
D -- Microeconomics
G -- Financial Economics
Full Text of JOE Listing:
Bates White specializes in providing advanced economic, financial, and econometric analysis to law firms, companies, and government agencies. We help clients tackle tough issues with confidence and pride ourselves on delivering top-notch expert testimony and consulting advice. But what makes us successful is our commitment to providing a positive and rewarding experience—for our employees, our clients, and the community.
Bates White, located in Washington, DC, is seeking PhD candidates and experienced PhDs to work closely with senior staff and partners on high-profile engagements. Responsibilities include economic research, empirical analysis, report and presentation preparation, and project management. The firm is looking for candidates who possess strong written and oral communication skills as well as the ability to think creatively, analyze complex data, develop clear, concise, and logical documents, and collaborate in teams.
We are seeking individuals interested in solving applied microeconomic problems. Expertise in industrial organization, labor, healthcare, econometrics, financial economics, and applied microeconomics/econometrics is helpful, but not required. As many of our cases involve working with large datasets, we are also seeking individuals with data science experience.
Our firm is recognized by leading academics and professionals as a premier place to work. Bates White has an innovative and entrepreneurial culture where bright minds from diverse backgrounds come together to solve difficult challenges facing legal, business, and government decision makers in the United States and around the world. In addition, the firm maintains strong relationships with key academics and industry experts.
We are deeply committed to providing a quality work experience and fostering and maintaining a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. This is evidenced in the firm’s academic focus, career development programs, and employee engagement activities. As part of our quality work experience and supportive culture, here is what you can expect from us:
* Competitive compensation and benefits including promotion and salary reviews every six months, bonuses, generous paid time off, a flexible work schedule, low healthcare premiums, stipend for equipment at home, wellness program, and much more!
* Immigration support and sponsorship of visas and green cards.
* Hybrid work environment with three coordinated in-office days/week with personal flexibility.
* Team-based approach to client work where you’ll work side-by-side with peers, managers, and experts, making it easy to learn, network, and contribute to cases.
* A transparent culture where your voice is heard, your input is sought, and your contributions are rewarded.
* Investment in your career through intensive training programs, an assigned mentor and peer coach, and frequent feedback.
* Networking opportunities through interest groups, Women’s Network, International Network, and Diversity-Inclusion Council.
* A fun and engaging culture including social events such as practice-area happy hours, team dinners, and firmwide celebrations.
* Amenities including standing desks, a fitness center, a rooftop terrace, espresso machines, fresh fruit, a pool table, and table tennis.
* Employee-driven community outreach featuring creative fundraising events (e.g., trivia, game shows, cooking competitions, etc.), volunteer opportunities, and matching funds along with our pro bono program.
For consideration, apply via our website. Please also send three letters of recommendation to email@example.com.
Early decision process
If you know that economic consulting is the field you want to pursue, we recommend applying via our early decision process. The early deadline is Sunday, October 16. We commit to interviewing candidates and making offer decisions by mid-December. You should only apply via our early decision process if you are prepared to make a binding decision about whether to accept our offer by January 2, 2023 (before the AEA meeting). If you prefer to follow the typical AEA timeline, please apply via our regular process.
Regular application process
For candidates interested in following the AEA timeline, the application deadline is Sunday, November 13. We will conduct first-round interviews virtually in early January and then host second-round interviews in our Washington, DC office or virtually in January and February. For more information, refer to www.bateswhite.com.
Bates White is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and does not discriminate based upon race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you are an individual with a disability and you need an accommodation or other assistance during the application process, please call our Human Resources department at (202) 747-1463 or email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply. Download the EEO is the Law poster for more information.
- External Application URL and Instructions Below
- Letters of Reference Instructions Below