JOE Listings (Job Openings for Economists)
August 1, 2022 - January 31, 2023
Competition Dynamics, Inc.
Position Title/Short Description
Section: Full-Time Nonacademic
Location: Salem, Massachusetts, UNITED STATES
JEL Classification: 00 -- 00 - Default: Any Field
Full Text of JOE Listing:
Competition Dynamics (CD) is looking to hire a talented PhD to join its consulting and expert testimony practice in a key role, leading to an eventual appointment as an expert witness.
In this position you will work side by side with CD’s founder and expert, Dr. Jonathan Putnam, in developing models to assess damages in IP litigation, conducting research, directing analysis, and interpreting the results of analysis. You will have the opportunity to not only influence the outcome of major cases, but also learn the role of expert witness from one of the country’s leading experts. Candidates who can demonstrate intellectually rigorous research and analysis in the areas of industrial organization, technological change, or international trade will find this a unique opportunity to learn on the job. Prior research in the economics of intellectual property or in innovation theory and economics, would be beneficial.
You will need to bring sophisticated and creative thought to CD’s research and analysis in its preparation of expert testimony. You will be trained in project management and assist our project managers in their case preparation until you are capable of performing the role of project manager on your own.
You will also have the opportunity to conduct your own research at CD as it seeks to develop reliable and comprehensive solutions to global high-technology conflicts.
About Competition Dynamics:
CD is an owner-operated economic consulting boutique devoted exclusively to economic research and testimony at the intersection of intellectual property, competition and international trade law. Intellectual Asset Management magazine recently noted that “Jon Putnam’s analytical skills are peerless, as is his ability to articulate concepts in a persuasive and comprehensive way”, and that he “runs an amazingly dedicated, hardworking and talented team at Competition Dynamics”.
Jon Putnam, an expert with over 30 years of experience with the economics of intellectual property, R&D, productivity growth, industrial organization and international trade, founded CD in 2012. He has been retained in more than 100 consulting engagements and has testified more than 40 times in U.S. state and federal courts, before the U.S. Federal and International Trade Commissions, and in U.S. and international arbitrations, including very large (in excess of $1 billion) and sophisticated cases.
Duties and Responsibilities:
As the Consulting Economist, you will
1. Create and review the content of the expert reports for intellectual rigor, thoroughness of analysis and creative problem solving.
2. Assist in evaluating client cases, formulating the damage theories and identifying the best approaches to each case.
3. Learn to manage the production of expert witness reports and the overall preparation of expert witness testimony, while assisting other project managers with the same.
4. Participate in the training and mentoring of CD’s analyst team as they further hone their econometric analysis skills and learn to add value to project managers in the production of expert reports.
5. Learn to manage and further develop relationships with clients in the context of expert report writing and expert witness testimony preparation.
6. Represent CD at IP conferences and attend industry networking events to establish your own reputation as a credible candidate for expert witness mandates.
7. Be groomed for a testifying Expert role once you have mastered expert report project management and demonstrated the aptitude to perform as a testifying expert.
Required Qualifications and Attributes:
1. You have a PhD in economics from a top university and have earned the reputation as an innovative thinker who is able to create comprehensive solutions to complex problems.
2. You have demonstrated strong project management and report writing skills, enabling you to concisely summarize the facts of a legal case and generate professional-quality reports on tight deadlines.
3. You are strong at data handling and analysis, and are proficient in SAS, Stata, or MATLAB.
4. Your English communication skills are excellent in both spoken and written form, and you are able to articulate complex economic concepts and explain these in a way understandable to the general public.
5. You work successfully in a collaborative, team environment and can manage task allocation to, and the supervision of, more junior members of the team.
6. You are a proactive self-starter, able to manage multiple projects and priorities.
7. You thrive in a challenging work environment and perform well in high stress situations.
8. You are able to teach and mentor junior staff.
9. You have strong interpersonal skills and are at ease interacting with demanding clients and senior-level IP practitioners.
10. You have the availability to work long hours, evenings and weekends as necessary, and to travel for client meetings on short notice.
- Application Instructions Below
- Letters of Reference Instructions Below