JOE Listings (Job Openings for Economists)
August 1, 2022 - January 31, 2023
Position Title/Short Description
Section: Full-Time Nonacademic
Location: Hangzhou, Zhejiang, CHINA
JEL Classification: 00 -- 00 - Default: Any Field
Environmental, Society, and Governance (ESG)
Full Text of JOE Listing:
Luohan Academy is an open research institute based in Hangzhou, China. It was established by Alibaba Group and a group of world-renowned social scientists (including seven Nobel Laureates in Economics) in 2018, with the aim of promoting research and dialogue on the social and economic dimensions of the ongoing digital revolution.
We collaborate with world-class social scientists and practitioners to explore, analyze and learn about the ongoing (digital) transformation of society and economy worldwide. We are interested in conducting research on the digital economy, platform economy, and issues related to ESG. With regular seminars on the digital economy and a series of Frontier Dialogues on fundamental issues, our researchers can actively engage in frontier research and policy discussions ( . In the first four years of the Academy's establishment, we published two major reports and various working papers in collaboration with researchers in our community ( . With rich first-hand experience and privileged data accumulated in a rapidly growing digital economy, Luohan Academy is a perfect place to study the socio-economic impact of digital technology.
We will schedule virtual interviews in early Jan. 2023. Only those candidates who complete applications before Dec. 20, 2022, will be considered for interviews in this round. Please note that we hire on a rolling basis throughout the year.
• (Report) Conduct in-depth analysis and write reports on issues of great significance to society, policymakers, and business leaders. Contribute to a better understanding of the regulatory environment of new technology firms in the digital age.
• (Research) Conduct cutting-edge research on a broad range of topics in the digital economy. These include platform economics, data economics, and broader ESG issues. Economists are encouraged to share their research at academic conferences and publish in peer-reviewed scholarly journals and other outlets.
• (Activities) Support various activities of the Academy, including our webinar, Frontier Dialogue, and others. Through the active discussion platform of frontier ideas, we keep promoting the exchange of ideas among academia, policymakers, and practitioners.
• (Community) Develop and maintain a close relationship with internal and external researchers, policymakers, and industry experts to foster dialogues on the digital economy in an active and expanding community, and contribute to the Academy’s global outreach.
• Candidates should have a Ph.D. in Economics, Finance, or a related discipline, from a university of good international standing. We welcome candidates with at least 3 to 5 years of working experience in academia, research institutions and think tanks, and major international organizations for senior positions.
• Solid analytical, quantitative, and programming skills. Familiarity with data and empirical methods and experience with policy analysis and thematic reports are advantages.
• Strong written and oral English skills. (Note that we welcome non-Chinese applicants as well.)
• Have interests in, and aptitude for, working in an open research institution; a passion for independent and creative thinking; the ability to collaborate and make substantial contributions to teamwork.
• Full-time Research Analyst: we welcome candidates with strong academic backgrounds with a Master's or Bachelor's Degree in relevant disciplines. Analysts gain experience by assisting our economists with original economic research and providing critical support for data analysis. Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply to Talents_LHA@ .
• Cover Letter
• Curriculum Vitae
• Job Market Paper
• Research Statement
• Three Letters of Reference
Application deadline: Dec. 20, 2022
Interested applicants should submit their cover letter, curriculum vitae, research papers, and three letters of reference through the JOE System. For more detailed information on the opportunities of the Academy, please email us at Talents_LHA@ .
- Research Statement
- Letters of Reference
- Research Papers
- Job Market Paper
- Cover Letter